Saturday, December 16, 2006

Is this a Christian Blog?

This blogsite recently received an invitation to join a Christian Blogging group.
My first thought was why UU-ing and not SCUniversalist? Isn't that blog more Christian oriented than this one? To be honest with my recent trials and tribulations I didn't give it that much thought...

But then a couple of things clicked.
First while SCUniversalist has and will talked about the paths of various ministers and churches, I don't think I mentioned the word "Christian" or the name "Jesus" there. Now, some of that should go without saying: before the 1910s, all Universalists all Universalists generally considered themselves Christians. All of them mentioned Jesus, some of them quite a bit. If they stopped considering themselves Christians, then they generally left and went to the free thinkers (like Kneeland) or Spirtualists (like Bowman to mention a southerner).
However this blog does mention the word "Christian". Back when the UUCF had no website, I had no problem running a press release (and even though they now have a website and webblog, I still have no problem). So that would be why this blog got picked! It got "Christian" clicks! (I was tempted to say Christian hits, but nevermind....)

So it this a Christian Blog? Well, clicks don't an orientation make. While I do admit that I am an Unitarian Universalist Christian, I don't think that is what the folks behind that Christian blog group were looking for. Let me put it like this; at one point the Universalist Church of America wanted to join the Federal Council of Churches - but were not allowed in as being Universalist and unitarian, they weren't considered real Christians (yes, I've simplified the story for retelling). I suspect that a more careful reading of my blog would result in some doing the same thinking. Yet, I have no doubt that John Murray, Hosea Ballou, D. B. Clayton were Christians in the truest sense of the word. I would be delighted to be in back of their group picture. and yes, I'm tired of folks who profess to be Christians who don't care what Jesus said. (One recent best selling mainstream book about Jesus, proudly asserts that most "real" Christians think that the words in red are trivial). So I'm not signing up. On the other hand, I suspect that if I lived in a community with Christian liberals (in the old fashion sense of the word), then I would be more inclined to say "sure sign me up"to be a Christian blogger.

So is this a Christian blog? Well you are entitled to your view and I'm keeping mine!

and-- I will be changing this blog, tweaking the name (probably); and moving the personal nater and religion views over here, making SCUniversalist much more of just a history website. I will probably move some of the old blogs over here (if I can figure out how).

oh, Merry Christmas, and Happy Holidays to yall!

steven r

No comments: