Tuesday, September 25, 2007

So what's new with you?

I've been mostly quiet on this blog - not that's there is anything wrong with those videos, but here's what's been going on over here.

the last issue of the UU World quoted me, so I can now say "as mentioned in UU World", right?
This lead to a slightly more email - all dealing with UU history.

i did a lecture at my local UU Congregation on " Buddhism for Beginners"; a basic primer on what the Buddha said, and how folks now follow his teachings. In early December i will be upnorth in eastern North Carolina talking to the good folks at Outlaw's Bridge Universalist Church at Seven Springs. They will be hearing about D.B. Clayton. The folks in NC want a sermon and not a lecture. We will see if I can do that - a sermon is much tougher than a lecture. I will be making my notes more orderly (I could probably give an all day seminar on the topic).
and I plan to re-read the autobiography and a debate book by Clayton. I will mention the G-word when I talk - probably in quoting Clayton.

Sinus issues have left me drained and tired. you can repeat that sentence about 3 times for maximum impact.

recent books read: Benjamin Franklin by Walter Isaacson; currently reading Lost Stories by Dashiell Hammett. I should be finished reading this sometime this week. Not sure what I'll read next. Probably a children's book by Manly Wade Wellman (the only writer that my grandfather, my father and myself all three met - at separate times. Wellman did a lot of NC history books, and apparently convinced a lot of folks he was a southern writer). Or I might read a religious book - maybe I should get a pattern: reading religious books, non-fiction, and fiction in rotation.

so, what's new with you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Steve, thanks for your comment over at my blog. The reason my name isn't on it is that I'm trying to minimize my Google presence (minimize, not utterly diminish it, something that can only be done by staying offline). The old version was too associated with me, and because of the way that blogging has sometimes been used against non-tenured faculty, I want to be cautious with it. Yet I seem to post so much on others' blogs that I feel guilty about it, as if I should just set up my own darn forum to post my blatherings rather than hijack others. Anyway, I assumed that folks in the know would figure it out pretty easily who runs the blog, while those who are just randomly Googling me for dirt won't turn it up as easily. Not that anything I've ever said at any incarnation is even slightly risky, but still caution seems advisable.